Saturday, April 14, 2007

Just Thinkin Outloud

You know, it's funny, but less than three months ago I could count the balls of yarn in my house on one hand and now, I think it's multiplying by itself...It's falling off the shelves beside my knitting chair...I have it in baskets and bags...I inherited a ball and a half (which I immediately wound on my yarn winder) of some very nice cashmerey wool from my sister...arrived day before yesterday, knowing full well that a friend has just sent me two hanks of some very lovely white handspun Merino...and today I earmarked some laceweight that I am going to splurge on...even though I have about 20 balls of some very nice laceweight that I should be casting on for a Shetland Shawl that I don't need but must make. Same goes for books and mags of the knitting sort. Where once they were tidily stored in one small canvas bucket, I've now started stowing them on a shelf above some of the yarn. I bought two knitting magazines this week alone and today when I was at B&N I contemplated Book #1 of Stitchionary...but thought I might get a better price from Amazon. Yet, I am not satisfied....I search the internet every day for new, interesting patterns that I will one day make and I dream and drool over all the yarns at the yarn company sites as well as the bigger discount online shops...I want it all, but mostly the yarn. I want to touch it and smell it (especially the wool....God, I love the smell of real wool without synthetics twisted in) I love the feel of it knitted too...and cotton!! Yes, oh yes, knitted cotton. Tommy's sweater is cotton and it feels so heavenly lying there in my lap...all those cabled stitches weighty feeling under my fingers. Nothing slips off a needle like a strand of cotton. Where has this been all my life? Why didn't I keep up the knitting when I was in my 20's? I've wasted 30 years of good knitting time and now, in my 50's I am obsessed with getting caught up! The interesting thing is, at this time in my life, at my age, I am not afraid to try anything. Nothing seems too complicated to try and if it doesn't work, I know I can frog it. Before, there wasn't even a word for redeeming your disasters so I thought I had totally failed...now, if I screw it up I can do something adorably cute like frog my knitting and that makes it OK!!! It's also ok to knit on something for months and months and never be finished...but that's ok too! YEA!!!! Alright, I know, I have to finish...I have to, that's me. I'd be miserable if I didn't finish and finish it as close to perfect as possible...sigh...but, there is that safety net....just in case.
I LOVE KNITTING

1 comment:

Donna said...

This is all sounding familiar, the same thing happened to me last summer when I re-discovered knitting. Now I am obsessed and yesterday came to the conclusion that knitting is "my thing" that I have been looking for.